Friday 1 January 2016

Day: 177 13/9/97 Southend to Rochford

Weather:  Bright and warm.

Distance:  32 km (19.9 miles)    Total Distance:   2286 miles

Because Southend is a bad place to get to from Coventry I traveled down the previous evening and stayed with my aunt and uncle in Rayleigh. 

The next morning I drove and parked off the promenade and walked back to the pier, my starting point for the day.  The first three miles was along the promenade before having to cut inland at Shoebury Ness to avoid the MOD property.  After going through a park and an industrial estate I ended up in the village of Shoebury Ness and was pleased to find a bakery where I bought a cake.  

I wandered down to the sea again and ate my cake on the promenade.  The next part of the walk took me through a park where I watched two men taking photos of their posh car. Then I once again had to cut inland up to the main road.  After a mile or so I was able to go over scrubland down to the sea defenses.  I had made some inquiries before setting out on this walk and realised that it would not be possible to get out onto Foulness Island very easily.  The path on the map was called the Broomway but was not walkable because of the mud and tides.  The rest of Foulness Island was only accessible with MOD permission.  I therefore gave the island a miss, justifiably I thought for my own safety. This was reinforced when I got to the point on the sea defenses where the Brooomway started and was not at all visible! 

Much of the remainder of the day was along sea defenses.  There was one huge inlet before getting to Barling Marsh that seemed to take an age to get around.  For the last three miles I came inland onto farmland along well-marked paths, which was a relief because I was starting to get tired.  I stopped just before Rochford and wandered up onto the main road and caught a bus back down into Southend to collect my car.



No comments:

Post a Comment