Monday 4 January 2016

Day: 191 31/8/98 Shotley Gate to Ipswich

Weather:  Fine, warm, sunny intervals.

Distance:  15.5km ( 9.6 miles)    Total Distance:   2495miles

I was up a 6 o’clock, packed up the tent and was walking by 7.00am.  The reason for the early start was that I wanted to make sure of catching the bus at 12 o’clock.  I parked the car outside the Bristol Arms at Shotley Gate.  

The first part of the walk was to the large and expensive looking marina.  I spent much of the time looking over to the large freighters at Felixtowe.  I thought what a nice place the marina would be if it were not for the background noise of the large boats at Felixstowe. 

The first hour or so walking was quite tough with long grass on the sea-defences. Just before Chelmodiston National Trust land, there was no path marked on the map but I was pleased tot see it was marked as a permissible path and in fairly good condition on the outskirts of some fields. This saved a walk inland. 

It was then onto the beach briefly – past some fishermen and their boats before climbing up into the National Trust woods.  Views out of the woods back down to the beach were of a medium sized-boat graveyard.  At Chelmondson I sat in the pub garden for a while and had a drink of water and some biscuits – everywhere was still closed up.  A few boaters were up making the most of the bank holiday.  I used the public toilet and then headed along the well-walked path to Wolverstone which is another boating area full of private yacht clubs.  Here the path ended so it was time to head inland.  I called into the chandlers shop neat the caravan park.  I opened the fridge to get a drink and was surprised to see a tie in there in the top shelf.  I asked the shop assistant why it was in there but she did not know.  She had worked there for a couple off months and had been meaning to ask but never had! 

After a mile or so across fields it was back onto the road again near Freaton Park.  At the Orwell Bridge I was pleased to see that it was relatively easy to clamber up onto the bridge and I did not have to walk up to the interchange.  I had a headache and did not particularly enjoy the walk over the bridge but was impressed but its height. Signs for the Samaritans demonstrated it was a pace to attract suicide bidders.  On the other side I could see people walking underneath on the banks of the Orwell even though there was no path on the map.  I also found steps down off the bridge that was nice. 

I walked back over the bridge and started to hitch.  It was not long before I got a lift from a woman who was on her way to meet a friend who had sailed his boat back from Holland and was moored at Shotley Gate.  She said she never usually stopped for hitchhikers but I looked like a walker.  She dropped me off at the turn-off for Woolvestone marina but she picked me up a couple of minutes later saying she had made a mistake and got the wrong marina and meant to go to Shotley.  So I ended up getting two lifts back – both off the same person! She was telling me how she was walking the Thames footpath. 


I picked up two hitchhikers on my drive home to Coventry and dropped them off at Corley services before going to see a neighbor who was in hospital recovering from pneumonia.  

No comments:

Post a Comment