Friday 1 January 2016

Day: 179 15/9/97 South Woodham Ferrers to North Fambridge

Weather:  Good!  Warm but not hot, bright but not sunny.

Distance:  12km (7.5 miles)    Total Distance:   2314 miles

A relatively short walk today to follow the previous days’ walks. I parked the car in the car park overlooking the River Crouch and smugly looked at the river and Hullbridge beyond thinking that if the tides had not been correct I would have had to walk a lot further inland.  I started off and soon realised that I was not on top form physically, my feet were sore with blisters and my stomach upset. 

The sea defenses double backed on themselves and skirted the new town of Woodham Ferrers.  I was relieved to find that I could cross Clementsgreen Creek sooner than indicated on the map and was heading east again.  I soon hit another inlet and this time there was no choice but to head way inland.  I crossed the railway  track and past a farm and then up onto the road. Great Hayes farm on the main road was on such a tight bend that they put bails of hay outside to protect their buildings from wayward cars.

After walking on the busy road for a mile I was able to cut off down through a lane and past some very expensive looking houses – this really was leafy Essex. Once in Fambridge I was walking very slowly.  I popped into the post office to ask about buses – I had seen a rather dilapidated bus stop a bit up the road.  I was told however that there was only one bus a week and that was not today.  I guess those without a car must have to plan their shopping trips carefully.

I made it down to the sea front to work out where to park next time I came down and then about turned and headed inland up to the station.  Fortunately there were a lot more trains than there were busses.  I did not have to wait long and had a free trip to Woodham Ferriers.  

The walk back to the car was through the new town and painful. By now I was hobbling badly. I was very relieved to get back to the car and made my way home to Coventry.


No comments:

Post a Comment