Saturday 2 January 2016

Day: 183 21/2/98 Maldon to Goldhanger

Weather:  Mild, drizzle.

Distance:  10.5km ( 6.5 miles)    Total Distance:   2363 miles

A short days walk to finish off the holiday.  The forecast was for rain later on in the day and I had tired legs after two days so anything I did today was a bonus.  

I parked the car down by the river and headed off.  Along the main road for a while and then a right turn down through rough ground in an industrial estate. I kept thinking the path was heading for a blockage but it did eventually open out onto the estuary proper and more sea defences, lots of dog walkers and numerous sea birds. I lost my orientation a bit going around the lake and am convinced that the lake is now bigger than it is on the map! 

The footbridge over the canal at Heybridge basin was in the process of being repaired by a gang of youth workers.  The sea wall was in good condition for the next stretch past harbours, caravan sites and apartment developments.  I stopped for a moment at Decoy Point to watch the cars drive over to Osea Island on the causeway open at low tide.  I was fascinated to think about the post van going over. How much did it really cost to deliver a letter to those who lived on the island.

A couple more ins and outs and I was at decision point. Do I go on or not? It was not a difficult decision. My feet were sore and it looked like rain.  I hobbled up into Goldhanger, what looked like an idyllic village and checked with someone that the very deserted bus stop I was standing at did in fact see a bus stop there every so often.  A couple of village lads came along obviously off to Maldon for the afternoon to spend their money.  Back at Maldon, I called in a baker’s shop for some refreshments and took them back to the car to eat.  I then drove back to my aunt and uncle's and dropped off their front door keys which I had forgotten to hand back.



No comments:

Post a Comment