Monday 31 December 2012

Day: 20 2/5/87 Criccieth to Harlech

Weather:  Very changeable, some heavy showers.
Distance:  31.5km (20 miles)    Total Distance:   301 miles

I had camped in Penrhyndeudraeth the previous evening for £3 which I thought was expensive for what it was.  The first few hours walking were very fine, along the sands and beaches between Criccieth and Porthmadog.  The wind started to blow up as I left Porthmadog after tea and cheesecake and a walk along the cob.  I managed to get into Portmeirion by going along the beach for a while and then into the wood.  I managed to keep mainly to the coast all the way to Penrhyndeudraeth and had lunch there in a pub. 

After lunch I walked on the road, past the explosive works where some of my ancestors had worked and over the toll bridge.  I then attempted to get out to the island but failed – I thought it was Shell Island by mistake which was accessible all the time.  The showers in the afternoon were heavy as I headed out into the mud flats and dunes of Morfa Harlech.  It was difficult to see which way to go so I was conservative in which way I headed.  When I got to the sea it was a straightforward track down past Harlech to the railway where I cut back to Harlech and ended walking for the day.  I caught the train back to Cricieth for £1.90.  I ate in the Little Chef in Penrhyndeudraeth and got to a campsite just outside Harlech (on the north side I think) for £1 which I thought was a lot much more suitable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment