Monday 31 December 2012

Day: 26 8/5/87 Tresaith to Cardigan

Distance:  21km (13 miles)    Total Distance:    404 miles

I parked just outside Tresaith, walked down into the village, stocked up on cans and off to Aberporth, virtually the only piece of coastal path in this area.  It was a fine warm day and I needed the pint of milk I got when walking through Aberporth.  The RAF depot looked virtually impossible to get around so it was inland up a sharp hill and around the camp.  Then it was a good bit of map reading needed to follow the footpaths through the farms, quite a few now derelict.  The path into Mwnt also meant going through a farmyard of barking dogs.  The churchyard in Mwnt appeared well looked after and in beautiful isolation.  I went partially around the hill at Mwnt but there was a warning about erosion of the paths, so I came down past the beach.

Again there was no coastal path so I went through more farmyard paths.  It was hard walk the rest of the day after a hard weeks walking.  I tried looking for an open shop in Ferwing without success so carried on towards Gwbert – but still no shops – so getting quite thirsty!

I walked along the road feeling quite disappointed at having missed out the coast near Cardigan Island.  When the road went inland I carried on around the mud banks.  Sometimes it got boggy and finally I cut inland getting a bit lost in the farm and having to creep around avoiding the farmer!

People were out enjoying the sunshine as I came into the town.  I popped into a café for a cup of tea and an ice cream – pretty grotty café.  I then got a lift back to Tan-y-Groes with a young lad from Fishguard off to see his girlfriend in Aberystwyth – a carpet washer!  He had just set up in business. 

I then went back to my parent's Cardiff via friends in Aberdare.

No comments:

Post a Comment