Monday 31 December 2012

Day: 27 23/5/87 Cardigan to Newport

Weather:  drizzle
Distance:  23km (14miles)    Total Distance:   415 miles

I made my way from Llandovery where I had camped the previous evening to Cardigan, getting slightly lost and going up towards New Quay in the process.  I parked up at the top end of Cardigan, walked through the town and over the bridge – the bridge over the Teifi to start the walk proper.  I could not find the path along the estuary so went along the roads until after St Dogmals.  I stopped at a café on Poppet Sands which marks the start of the Pembrokeshire coastal path.  I stocked up on provisions after having a pasty.  I remembered quite a bit of this bit as this was the stretch I had done a couple of years previously with the Cardiff gang.  It drizzled for most of the day but I found the walking quite easy with only about three or four major ups and downs.

Some good examples of folding rocks were evident.  I met up with a guy who worked for the Health and Safety Executive about 4 miles before Newport, so walked the rest of the way with him.  I had met him a bit before that but had overtaken him, but later he caught me up so we walked together from then on. 

Apart from the one road that reached the coast at Moylgrove, there was no evidence of civilisation the whole day from Poppet Sands to Newport.  By the time we got to Newport we were gasping and the tea shop we found was most welcome. I had a pot of tea and a chocolate cake and then left my mate in the hands of the proprietors who were phoning around for him trying to get him into a B&B, but it was crowded because it was festival time.  I hitched back getting a lift from two young girls to Cardigan – they were off to work in a pub there.  I drove to the Sailor’s Safety at Pwllgwaeloed and set up camp and then the pub for a poor dinner.  It was descended upon by a party of Hell’s Angels who also camped at the campsite.  I tried to get an early night but it was not very successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment