Monday 31 December 2012

Day: 31 27/5/87 Solva to Runwayskiln

Distance:  33km (21 miles)    Total Distance:   482 miles

Another pretty fine day as I recall.  I parked the car on the quayside.  I knew I was in for a difficult start as the walk out of the bay was streep and I did not much feel like doing any up and down stuff.  I was pleased to get to the vast expanse of Newgale Beach and enjoyed the walk along the beach come rocks.  This is where the large IRA arms find was made in 1989.  It was then up onto the cliff top for a while before getting down onto the beach again at Maddocs Haven for a mile.  I remember finding the hotel at Hulesdon but not the path but I soon got back to the coast. 

At Broardhaven the lifeboat and Air-Sea Rescue were out practising.  I had lunch in a café and the enjoyed the walk out of Little Haven through a tree-lined path.

In the afternoon I walked fast along some spectacular cliff top scenery – all very deserted.  It was along this stretch that two people were murdered a couple of years later – it may have been in connection with the arms find at Newgale. 

At Martins Point a boat was just unloading having been to Scommer Island.  By the time I got to Runwayskiln I was pretty tired and still had to walk 4 km before getting a lift.  I recall the lift was from someone who told me the pitfalls of buying a Metro or Maestro.  I was very lucky to get a lift all the way to Solva.  That night I camped outside Broard Haven and went to the pub on the front for tea – just got in before it closed. It got very crowded there later.

No comments:

Post a Comment