Thursday 24 August 2017

Day: 204 7/4/99 Horsey Corner to Mundesley

Distance:  19 km (11.8 miles)    Total Distance:   2640 miles

I couldn't settle at home and having the rest of the week off I decided to return to Norfolk, this time on my own, leaving the family to enjoy their Easter holidays in Coventry.  Margaret had assured me she could manage without the car so I was up early and driving the A14 to Norfolk.  I got held up near the start of the A14 because two lorries had collided near Junction 2.   It took me over three hours to get to the quiet National Trust car park near Horsey Corner.  

The first couple of miles walking was along the beach. There was no seals to be seen today because the sea was too rough.  There was no easy place to walk either. The sand was not particularly firm and no paths through the dunes.  Eventually I headed up to the dunes again and discovered a path appearing which took me into Sea Palling.  I passed a group of teenagers going in the other direction who asked me about the state of the path.  I advised then to say as inland as possible. 

At Sea Pailing there were two cafes.  I am not sure if I made the right choice but neither looked that appealing to be honest.  I had four doughnuts for £1 and a coffee and sat listening to the sound of the gambling machines talking mainly to themselves thinking that the other café would have been quieter.  At least the staff were friendly. 

After Sea Pailing I tried to keep to the paths in the dunes again but there were a number of fences trying to discourage people walking on the marrum grass I guess.  I therefore took to the beach again.  I stayed on the beach all the way to Happisbburgh by which time cliffs had stared to appear instead of dunes.  At one point I had to backtrack a bit and scramble up the cliff because the tide was blocking me way forward. 

As I entered Happisburgh there was evidence of a cliff fall taking a house with it.  A tall brick well-looking structure stood adjacent to the cliffs looking as if the cliffs around had collapsed leaving the brick tower.  I stayed on top of the cliffs to Ostend and was then forced to go inland a bit though the development of Walcott – not a very attractive place.  

At Walcott Gap I headed down to the promenade and had a coffee and eccles cake in the second less than attractive café of the day.  From there to Mundesley I took to the beach again.  This time the sand was firmer.  I looked up onto the cliff top to see the giant gas Distribution Centre. A collection of cranes and diggers were busy repairing the sea defences below.  I was overtaken by a jogger but as he was going slowly and I was walking fast I kept him in my sights all the way to Mundesley. 

I walked up into the village from the sea front and then out to the outskirts and hitched whilst watching a man repair an old roof on a house opposite.  One car stopped but he was only going a short distance so we thought it best I stay there for a while. I got my first lift from a bloke who looked more like a Hell’s Angel, leathers and ring through his nose but was as gentle and kind thinking man as you could hope to meet.  He lived on a boat on the Broads, an ex-Dunkirk boat, which was currently having its fibreglass outer casing repaired.  He told be how he bought it down in Brightlingsea and on sailing it around to the Boards got stuck on a sandbank and had to be towed into Walton-on-the-Naze.  He took me to Stalham and I then got a lift from a teacher in a beat up Volvo who was doing up an old farmhouse.  My third lift was from a young lad in a new sporty red Mazda who worked in the gas rigs and had just been on a gas detection course for the day.  He dropped me at the entrance to the track to the car park. 

I went shopping in Sherringham then to the YHA in Sherringham.  I bought chicken and chips from a chip shop in town – tiny portion of chips and ate them back at the hostel.  I then set off in search of a pub with TV to watch the football.  Eventually found the Wyndham Arms – good beer too and warm welcome.  Man Utd in the semi-finals first leg of the European Championships against Juventus.  .  Giggs equalised with virtually the last kick of the game.  I slept in an 8-bedded dorm all by myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment