Tuesday 29 August 2017

Day: 244 16/2/02 Craster to Warren Mill

Weather:  Fine, cloudy, breezy

Distance:  26.5 km (16.5 miles)    Total Distance:   3131 miles


Margaret and the boys had taken off to Ireland for half-term and the weather was looking kind so I took advantage of the fact that I had been asked to give a lecture in York University on Friday afternoon to make a weekend of it.  The lecture went well I felt and the 10 or so students were pretty responsive, unlike some lectures I have given in recent years at Warwick which have been painful! 

 I got caught in traffic going around the northern York ring road but once I got onto the A1 it was fine.  I had booked at Charlton House B&B in Alnwick, the youth hostels not being open this time of year.   The B&B was a real treat.  It was nicely furnished and there was a warm welcome.  I had an en-suite attic room and the owner directed me to a pub just down the road for a meal.  It was real northern prices and I had superb chicken enchiladas and a pint for under £5.  As the beer wasn’t too brilliant there I headed up the road in the opposite direction to a Jennings pub I had spotted driving in and had a pint there and read the newspaper. 

In the morning I felt I had to have the Craster Kipper that the B&B had been advertising on the breakfast menu. Unfortunately I think it was THE Craster kipper – the only one they had that had been residing in their freezer for a year or two – at least over winter.  It was pretty tough but put me in the mood for a walk.  I drove to Craster, parked on the harbor front therefore avoiding the car parking fees and set off to Dunsterbourough castle I could see in the distance.   The castle was deserted at that time in the morning – a good time to see it without anyone around, not that I went in of course,  just wandered around the outside and then headed north.     

Embleton Bay was the first time I got down onto the beach and appreciated what people say about this part of the world,  rolling windswept beaches etc.  Low Newton by the Sea had a great little village square in it and a hospitable looking pub but unfortunately no tea shop for a cup of coffee so I pressed on around a couple of headlands and onto the beach again at Beadnell beach.  A sizeable river entered the sea half way along the beach and no matter how long I stood by its edge and wished I could wade across it appeared much too deep for that and I went inland and up over a sizeable footbridge that had been put there fore the purpose of preventing ramblers from drowning. 

The village of Beadnell appeared in the distance. It must have a coffee shop I thought – but no.  After walking through the rambling village and finding nothing I almost gave up all hope when I chanced upon a village shop that doubled up as a bakery and a cheese and onion pasty and cake was the order of the day.  I sat on a bench outside the shop and had my lunch before making my way across the dunes and onto the beach again for the next stint up to Seahouses. 

Just before Seahouses the path took a few doglegs up and along the road and then across the golf course before picking up a coastal path into the town.  A large trawler type vessel had been washed ashore and it appeared that the locals were busy salvaging what they could even to the extent that welding equipment was being used. 

I wasn’t too impressed with Seahouses – it looked a bit resortish, and especially since I had booked an above average price B&B/hotel to stay in here tonight.  I sped through the town keeping to the promenade paths, spotted what I thought was my night’s accommodation and then descended onto the beach once again for the long trek up to Bamburgh .  

As I walked past the castle itself the sun was beginning to set behind it making good views.  I still felt I had a bit of energy left so not wanting to leave too much to do tomorrow I pressed on around the northern headland of Budle Point.  This was more isolated and it was difficult to know whether to walk on the beaches or on the paths above them.  I came back up onto the main road via a farm track and then had a mile walk into Warren Point. 

I had a bus timetable but as it was still an hour till the bus was due to arrive plus the fact that I couldn’t find the bus stop I started to hitch.  A car that had been parked up for a while in the distance tooted and pulled up.  It was a couple from Burnley on holiday in Bamburgh.  He had worked for Lucas but had taken redundancy and she didn’t say a word.  He decided that although they were only going to Bamburgh he would offer me a lift all the way to Craster because he wanted to see what it looked like.  She didn’t want to!  We dropped her off at the hotel and he drove me all the way to my car!  I felt in hindsight I should have offered him a drink in the pub but I left with him peering out to sea wondering I guess whether to ever go back to Bamburgh.

The hotel at Seahouses was pleasant and the owner Malcolm a real character, chatty to say the least!  I had been put in a twin bedroom as the single room was in the part of the hotel where the roof had been blown off in the gales and was being replaced.  I think that was the story but the thing was Malcolm had such a strong accent it was difficult to tell.  To be honest I am not convinced his name was Malcolm – the way his wife pronounced it sounded more like Martin.


I ventured out for tea but failed dismally.  I tried a local pub/restaurant or two.  The restaurant was still advertising a Valentine’s Day Special menu and was completely empty.  I didn’t have the nerve to go in there.  What could be more sad that a single man eating a Valentine’s Day special in an empty restaurant! I can't think I would have been all that welcome anyway.  

The pub was bustling with rowdy drunks and again no room to sit and eat a meal.  That seemed to leave the fish and chip restaurants.  Plenty around I thought – lots of competition to encourage them to make a special effort.  How wrong could I be. It was one of those places with a surly teenage waitress who made me feel I wasn’t welcome in the town let alone the restaurant.  I ordered chicken and chips – sorry chicken off! Made do with fish and chips but had to force it down.  

I went to another pub for a pint to numb the stomach so it would digest the awful meal.  I went back to the hotel so early and blind date was still on but didn’t have the will power to stay long in the lounge and make conversation with Malcolm(?) so went to my room, watched TV and had an early night.   

No comments:

Post a Comment