Friday 25 August 2017

Day: 238 8/7/01 Seaham to South Sheilds

Weather:  Misty, overcast but mild.

Distance:  28 km (17.4 miles)    Total Distance:   3052 miles


This turned out to be a more pleasurable day than I thought it was going to be. I parked on the seafront in Seaham.  A mile along street / promenade, a mile or so on the beach then cut up onto a cliff top. 

On the way into Sunderland things got pretty depressing.  I actually ended up in some railway sidings and was concerned I wouldn’t be able to get out again. I saw a man and dog ahead so realised there must be a way out somewhere!  I ended up crossing the lines and hopping over a wall into an industrial estate area which was quiet at this time on a Sunday morning. 

Half a mile though this type of scenery and then into a park and out the other side to get to the start of Sunderland docklands.  The road swung around to the west and gave good views down to the Wear.  The road dropped down to riverside and a path took me upstream until it became obvious that the bridge over the river was high above the river.  A zigzag path / road climbed upward to the main road and then over the impressive bridge.  

On the other side of the bridge I descended a steep path down to the riverbank again. This side had been newly modernised with some great sculptures of massive nuts and bolts presumably to commemorate the ship building years.  

Sunderland University occupied this bank and overlooked the river. Not a bad setting for a University.   I wandered in and had a look around the glass museum – impressive but the only thing was the coffee shop wasn't open.  It was then into marina land. The only frustrating thing being that the path meandered though adding to the distance.  I stopped at a coffee shop that was pretty busy and had coffee and cake.

Around the headland and onto the coast proper again and I was able to walk the beach.  I had been to Sunderland some 15 year’s earlier to a friend's wedding but couldn’t recognise the hotel we had stayed at.  

Near Whitburn I was no sooner pleased to be back on a cliff top path than I saw the bane of any coastal path walker's dream – red flags flying at a firing range.  I strode forward anyway and a friendly civilian popped out of the sentry box and told me I would have to walk inland up to the main road.  This meant cutting through a housing estate, along a main road for a mile and then back through another housing estate and onto the coast again.  I took it in my stride.  

The next 5-mile stretch was a great surprise.  It was a stunning cliff-top walk; stunning for this part of the world anyway.  The cliffs were packed with nesting sea birds and picturesque lighthouses and hollows in the rocks.  I certainly hadn’t been expecting this around Sunderland and Newcastle.  I had wrongly assumed I would be a bit of a grim experience.  

As I neared South Shields it was more like I was expecting, seaside amusements and car parks.  I was determined to make it to the mouth of the River Tyne.  I rounded the head near a new hotel – one that I would be taken to for lunch a month later, with sculptures of round bottomed individuals in small groups, all rather pleasant actually. 

I rounded the headland and aimed for the nearest point to the town and presumable the bus station.  I ended up going past the fire training college that a colleague used to work at and then cut up to the town along an old railway line.  I asked a lady where to catch a bus and it wasn’t too far away.  I caught the first bus to Sunderland that came in and jumped on even though the driver warned me it was the slow bus. He wasn’t wrong. It took over an hour to get there!  I then got another bus which unfortunately only went to the western outskirts of Seaham (West Lea) and was then left with another couple of miles of walking down onto the seafront.  This must have made it a 20-mile day all together so I was pretty tired at the end of it – and had a long drive home!      



No comments:

Post a Comment