Thursday 31 August 2017

Day: 256 15/2/03 Bootle to Millom

Weather:  Cold and Fine.

Distance:  22 km (13.7 miles)    Total Distance:   3283 miles

I delivered another ‘workshop’ at York University in the afternoon and then made my way over the Pennines to the Lake District.  

The journey over the Pennines was long, most of the time spent getting out of York and then through Harrogate.  I had booked myself into Millon Youth Hostel and was told when I booked that I would be the only person there but when I turned up there were seven others there, a pair of Spanish and a pair of German language students from Dundee, an elderly lady and a young couple – an intense young man who was teacher training but believed in corporal punishment, and his Hungarian girlfriend.

I went into Millon to try to get a Chinese take-away but was told in one that it would be an hour and in another that it would be an hour and a half and there was me thinking that when they asked me whether I had ordered I thought they meant they were going to close the shop soon. I guess it was because it was Saint Valentines night and people’s idea of a romantic evening in Millon is to share a take away.  I ended up with chicken and chips from the chippy - evidently not people’s idea of a romantic meal judging by the lack of queue.

I was up early and got an early train to Bootle.  It was one of those trains where I had to ask the driver to stop at the station.  After a 15-minute walk down to the beach I was walking the coast for the first time this year and it felt good.

The beach was full of pebbles and not easy walking.  At one stage I got fed up with it and tried to make for the cliff tops – well not very high but they were steep to climb – but when I got to the top it was evident that there was no path and barbed wire fence everywhere so it was all the way back to the pebbles again.  Even after the map indicated that the pebbles could have given way to a vast expanse of sandy beach it was evident that I had been fooled and no doubt local dredging had taken all the sand away. 

I kept going till I was past the wind electricity generators at the headland and then took a break out of the very cold wind. There were lots of clear skies in cold temperatures, below freezing, but once I was up and walking warmed up quite nicely in the main.

I got to the village of Haverrig about 12.15 and was torn what to do.  I was very pleased with the progress I had made and was only aiming to get to Millom that day so popped into the Harbour Bar and ended up watching the Man United and Arsenal match (0-2) on a giant TV screen, mainly by myself.  That was exciting, especially as the opening 20 minutes was mainly the players kicking each other.  The Wales versus Italy match followed and that was the opposite – Wales loosing and reaching an all time low I think. 

The walk back to Millom was gentle – after three pints of bitter, past the large lake that had been reclaimed from the iron ore mine that once fed Millom Steel works, on which the Youth Hostel is now built – a bit of local knowledge for you there.  I stopped briefly at the Youth Hostel and then walked over the waste ground into town so that the next day I could start from there, plus to collect my car that I had left near the station that morning. 


I popped in Safeways to get a ready made curry and then back to the hostel.  I knew I wouldn’t be long before an Australian turned up and there he was – a young man who was into family history believe it or not and he was a real historian not someone who just claimed to have traced their family back 500 years with very littler evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment