Thursday 24 August 2017

Day: 213 6/8/99 Wrangle to Gibraltar Point

Weather:  Fine, warm, breezy

Distance:  16.5 km (10.3 miles)    Total Distance:   2773 miles

This was a strange day’s walk to say the least.  Margaret and the boys dropped me at Sailor’s Home before going off to explore Skegness.  I headed for the sea defences and began walking north.  The area was full of arable land growing vegetables.  Teams of people were in the fields, hunched over picking the crop.  

I soon came to yet another bombing range.  I was used to the form now and strode past the watchtowers believing that I was clearly allowed to walk on the sea defences as long as I did not stray onto the mud flats.  The sun was shining and I was shocked to meet a man lying in the grass near a bike miles from anywhere looking more like he lived out there rather than was out for a ride – he didn’t acknowledge me.

As I went further north the bombing practices started but the vegetables kept on growing!    I had asked someone earlier on about whether I could cross the Steeping River and he told me he thought I could but he did not say it with any conviction.  

As I neared the River I very much hoped that I could find a way across or it would mean a long walk up river over seemingly private land.  I was relieved to find a rickety old footbridge over the river but it had a gate with spikes on it that tempered my optimism. Fortunately when I tried the gate it was open so I was across – or so I thought – I had ended up in a compound again surrounded by high fence and a gate.  There was a house nearby and a dog that I had disturbed was barking.  I was very unsure if I was in the right or not or more importantly if there was a way for me to get to Gibraltar Point where I had planned to meet Margaret.  A woman appeared and it transpired I was inside a water company’s compound and she didn’t have a key for the gate but I was welcome to climb over and go onward to Gibraltar Point. 

I walked around a lake and then to the visitors centre to rest out of sun.  I treated myself to an ice cream, took off my boots and waited.  When they arrived they went for a walk down to the beach and I joined them later on their way back after resting further in the car.

Went back to the house to get a bath and have a cup of tea etc.  We tried to go to a pub in Skegness for supper that I had seen in the Good Beer Guide but when we got there it looked a great place though we were disappointed when we were told that that they were not doing bar meals that night as they were going to have a bar-b-q later.  

We traveled around Skegness trying to find somewhere to eat. We ended up in another pub – a huge place advertising children’s meals etc. We tried to eat in the bar but we were told that if we had children we had to go into the adjoining large hall where a kid’s karaoke was about to start.  We ordered our food and sat among people we thought we had nothing in common and a lot of noise.  When the food did eventually arrive they had run out of cutlery. I had to eat my Chicken Kiev by hand!  The meal from hell eventually finished and we left hastily.  Back at the house I went for a beer in the bar at the campsite and went to bed at the same time as the kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment