Thursday 31 August 2017

Day: 259 18/2/03 Barrow to Baycliff

Weather:  Cold and Fine and windy.

Distance:  20 km (12.4 miles)    Total Distance:   3337 miles

I parked near the bridge to Walney Island and headed south past the Barrow dockyards and then into the residential area of Barrow Island and lots of brick terraced houses presumably built for the workers of the docks.  The area was in pretty reasonable condition.  

A mile or so on the main road and then a path cut south over waste land and then on the outside of a power station.  The terrain gradually improved and soon I was able to cut down onto the beach.  By the time I was at the neck of Roa Island the wind was high and the walk out to Roa Island was just hard work rather than pleasant.  I was hungry by now and called into the coffee shop on the island which proved to be an excellent decision, one of the best I have come across on the whole coastal walk. 

The afternoon walk was quite pleasant partly along the road past Rampside lighthouse and later along paths and beach at times. I didn’t seem to be feeling the cold too much as I was well wrapped up but by the time I left the beach at Baycliff it was so cold that the sea was beginning to freeze on the foreshore.  I stopped at Baycliff and walked up the road and caught a bus back to Barrow at the Fisherman’s Arms.  I got talking to an art student on her way to college in Barrow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment