Thursday 31 August 2017

Day: 258 17/2/03 Walney Island

Weather:  Cold and Fine.

Distance:  35 km (21.7 miles)    Total Distance:   3324 miles


A deceivingly long walk today around Walney Island.  I parked the car on the mainland and walked over the bridge and turned right.  

The first part was along seafront.  The path then changed character by going over scrub land near a disused airfield and then onto sand dunes,  The wind certainly picked up as I rounded the point on the northern tip which felt very remote as I lost sight of the mainland.

I had good views before that of Lowsey Point which I passed yesterday.  At Earnse Point there were a few people around walking dogs but not many.  I stopped for a break.

From then on it was a long haul all the way down to the South of the island.  At the nature reserve I was forced to cut inland and through the car park and then around the paths of the reserve come quarry.  An hour later I was retracing my steps.  Most of the rest of the walk was along the road which was a bit annoying as there were quite a lot of lorries from the quarry using it. 

Back at the hostel that night there were a young couple who were asking about hill walking but had never done any.  I always wondered whether they ever got up a hill.



No comments:

Post a Comment