Thursday 31 August 2017

Day: 257 16/2/03 Millom to Barrow

Weather:  Cold and Fine

Distance:  31 km (19.3 miles)    Total Distance:   3302 miles
  
I drove the car a short distance into Millon and started my walk from there.

The first stretch of the day was along an estuary path.  I then took a short cut over the railway bridge.  I had not seen a train all day so far – it being a Sunday.  Fortunately one never turned up which was a relief.

The next stretch along a road and then an official footpath over a railway bridge.  The next long stretch was along mainly marsh land and then eventually beach and a long swing around a sand dune area. 

The was a strange community living around Lowsy Point.  Eventually my way along the coast was blocked and I had to cut up onto the main road.  

I cut back down to the coast again through a new country park and stopped what had been a long days walk at the neck of the bridge over to Walney Island.

I caught a bus up into town and then found out that the trains were running again so got a train back to Millom.  I think I made use of the Chinese take away tonight.  There was an elderly lady staying in the hostel who was obviously a regular at this and many other hostels.




No comments:

Post a Comment