Thursday 24 August 2017

Day: 223 9/4/00 Skiffling to Easington

Weather:  Windy & cool

Distance:  20.5 km (12.7 miles)    Total Distance:   2884 miles

I was up at 6.00am and sneaking around the house again so as to not wake my hosts.  It took about an hour to drive over to Skiffling and I decided to park in the village and walk down to the estuary.  It was a breezy morning but fortunately it stopped raining as I crossed the Humber Bridge and did not start again till I was heading back in the car.  After about the first hour the sun came out but because of the cold wind off the North Sea it was hat-weather for most of the time. 

The fist hours walk was pretty non-descript – taking up where yesterday’s left off. I made my first stop of the day just past Kilnsea, ducking down just off the path to get out of the wind.  I had decided to walk Spurn Head because everyone would ask me if I did and because it was so famous.  

I was glad I did because it had a settlement at the end so was strictly in my rules.  It was also an interesting experience.  On the way down I kept mainly to the road> There were hardly any cars around at that time in the morning.  At about two thirds of the way down a footpath appeared on the right that took me over the dune area and then into the settlement.  I passed the lighthouses and the row of small houses evidently there for the pilots who were based on the head, their boats moored off the jetty.  I climbed up onto the headland itself and then scrambled down onto the beach at the very head and found a log to sit on for a break and a look at the passing super-tanker.

On the way back north the cold wind was in my face but I kept to the beach for the first couple of miles.  I then went back on the road and was amazed to see the remains of the old road that had been washed away.  There was some evidence of the tracks of an old railway still embedded in parts of the existing road. 

At the neck of the head I cut off to the right and along the cliff top – cliff is a bit of an exaggeration as it is only a couple of meters high.  The caravan park at Kilnsea was a real mess, a real lunar landscape.  It got a bit more pleasant further on but not much to be honest. It was scrubland all the way to the beach and some very man-made looking ponds.  The gas terminals at Easington came closer indicating the end of my walk.  I had one last sit down to admire the sea before heading up into the village. 

I knew I had an hour or so to wait for a bus and I wanted to catch the start of the San Marino Grand Prix so I popped my head into all three of the pubs but they were all doing meals and no TV.   I decided to cut my losses and try to hitch / walk back and got a lift just as I was coming to the outskirts of the village. 

Once I had changed my boots I started my drive back – popping my head into a few more pubs but it was the same story.  I was tired and thirsty so stopped at the Safeway again in Saltend and had a pot of tea before heading home.  I picked up a hitchhiker on the outskirts of Hull who wanted to go the Liverpool.  I made a bit of a diversion and took him to near the Ferry bridge services.  He had just been on a weekend's course for a Solidarity organisation – something he described as being similar to Raleigh International where you get sponsorship and go to Malawi in Africa for 6 months – he had to get £6,000 sponsorship to go.  It all sounded plausible but when I looked it up on the Internet back home I had my doubts,  it was all to do with finding yourself and not so much to do with helping others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment