Thursday 24 August 2017

Day: 218 15/12/99 Cleethorpes

Weather:  Cold and icy

Distance:  2 km (1.2 miles)    Total Distance:   2814 miles

I was up working in Grimsby again.  We finished work reasonably early, went to the Oaklands Hotel and were still not too hungry at 6 o’clock so I persuaded my colleague to go for a walk – part of the coastal walk!  The only drawback was that it was freezing cold – literally and the promenade path we had to walk along was covered in ice.  I drove to the desolate car park near Humberston, changed into my boots, lent my colleague a woolly hat and we set off – but the first thing he did was to stand in an icy cold puddle and get a wet foot!  

We struggled along in the pitch black, barely able to see the path and had to rely on the moon shining off the puddles to see where they were.  I was aware that this was the first time I think I had done any of my coastal walk in the dark – at least on purpose!   We only went about a mile, down to almost the leisure centre before turning around and making our way back to the car. 

I felt sorry for my colleague as he seemed pretty cold by the time we got back.  There was a security man in the car park when we got back to the car – probably wondering what sort of people leave a car in a desolate car park on a night like that.   We rounded the evening off by going to Steels Fish and Chip Restaurant in Cleethorpes hand both enjoying a fish supper. 

It was very popular even in deepest December.  Back at the hotel there was a disco in full swing but keeping to their word it did finish before midnight.



No comments:

Post a Comment