Friday 25 August 2017

Day: 234 24/10/00 Redcar Steel Works to Seal Sands

Weather:  Cloudy but dry.

Distance:  18 km (11.2 miles)    Total Distance:   3010 miles

This was one of the most dismal days walking on this whole challenge. The only consolation was that it was a fine day and that at least I did not have to battle through rain or wind.  

Margaret and the boys dropped me off and she soon changed her mind about joining me on a short stretch. Straight from the off I was in the midst of the steel works and from then on till the end of the day I walked through industry for virtually the whole time.  The instead family left me and went off to meet our host and her girls at Whitby where they spent most of the day. 

After walking beside the railway for a couple of miles I came out on waste land, passing a transit van with a mean couple of guys in it looking as if they were on their way to do some illegal dumping.  I took a footbridge over the railway and was then in industrial estate country for many miles till I was on the opposite side of the Tees.

I chanced upon a transport café and popped in for a coffee and a stale piece of slab cake but it was very cheap and certainly friendly.  Past some more industrial estate and then I came to the Riverside Stadium – Middlesborough’s comparatively new football stadium. Compared with the rest of the day this was a moment of excitement.

I walked over a bridge which was in effect a sealed up dock and was surprised to see a boat still inside, now in effect trapped in there for the rest of its life. It was the Tuxedo Junction. I think this is the ship that used to be moored on the Tyne next to the Tyne Bridge and the boat on which I once attended a conference after the incident where I was poisoned by a cup of dishwashing liquid, thinly disguised as a coffee, whilst staying in a hotel in central Newcastle. 

After another half mile I came to the Transporter Bridge.  I had already made the rule that I was not allowed to cross by this means as it was a moving platform, when I came across the only other transporter bridge in the UK at Newport, Gwent. I therefore had to head upstream to the next bridge.  This meant more walking through industrial estate until eventually I arrived at a right turn that took me down through a park to the riverbank.  It was a park dedicated to the old steel works that used to be on the site.  Every so often there was a board with pictures of the old works and it was easy to imagine what it must have been like. At least I now had something to look at even if it was a rather bleak river.

As I neared the bridge, another classic iron structure, I could see the flashing lights of a police car and a fire engine.  I never did find out what they were up to because as I approached they both drove off.  Once over the bridge I soon took a right turn and entered the Billingham chemical complex.  What I guess was all ICI at one stage was now owned by a range of other chemical companies, though ICI still had a presence. The only thing positive to say I guess about this stretch was that there was a pavement keeping me safe from all the passing lorries

After about three miles of this I came to a community of new houses that appeared to be a mix of council and private accommodation.  The one thing that struck me was how isolated this community appeared to be, stuck out in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by industry.  I tried to go into a couple of pubs but they looked very desolate and threatening so gave them a miss and then tried a café but couldn’t find a way in or any sign of life.  

My plan was to come back over to Middlesborough via the Transporter bridge, but I was early too meet Margaret and still had a bit on energy left so decided to head north up to Seal Sands.  This section had the advantage that there was no industry around but the disadvantage that there was no pavement and it was a pretty busy road.  Once I got to Seal Sands (nothing more than a desolate fire station!) I thought I would get a bus back to the transporter bridge and one soon arrived to charge me 47p for the privilege.  I had to wait approximately 15 minutes for the bridge to come over but it was well worth the experience.  I paid only 30p and it only took a couple of minutes but was a great experience.  


I then went to the railway station and then to the bus station. I was told that the bus did not stop there but by the shopping centre so I ran to the shopping centre only to have it pull out just as I approached so walked briskly back to the railway station, bought a ticket only to find a 10 minute delay.  Anyway I got the train back and found Signals café still open and had an excellent flapjack and cup of tea.  Margaret arrived exactly at 5.00 to pick me up and we went back to our friends for tea and a nice hot bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment