Thursday 24 August 2017

Day: 207 10/4/99 Burnham Overy to Thornham

Weather:  Very breezy, cool.

Distance:  15.5 km (9.6 miles)    Total Distance:   2685 miles

I was awake at 6.00am and snuck out of the dormitory so as not to wake my dorm mate.  I had breakfast and was out of the hostel before 7.00am leaving my key and sheet sleeping bag at the reception desk. 

I had a real treat driving to the start of the walk because I drove past a barn owl sitting on top of a fence post right next to the road.

The first half-mile was along the road – the path on the map nearer the coast was one that was not accessible via the village (a no-through path as it were). The weather had changed and rain was forecast for later hence one reason for my early start.  The first three or so miles were along very exposed sea defences.  The bird life at this time in the morning was excellent and the birds were certainly noisy.  

The next section through Burnham Deepdale was quite different in the form of a path at the bottom of people’s back gardens next to the marshes.  After a mile or so it changed again and the gardens disappeared and the path was through the back of Bradcaster on National Trust land along a track of old railway sleepers.

I reached the road down to the golf course and was torn whether to take it.  I was very unsure whether there was any access along the short beach section and if there were not I would have had to retrace my steps.  A little further along however I saw a sign towards the sea marked ‘circular path’ so I headed off and indeed it was quite a pleasant path down to the club house and public car park, along the dunes for a couple of hundred yards and then back inland again.

Once I got to the main road I walked along it for a couple of miles which was not too pleasant but more pleasant than if it had been a weekday I guess.

Instead of stopping on entering Thornham I went through the village and onto a footpath – just so that I ended on a nice bit rather than on a busy main road.  Thornham appeared very posh indeed.

I thought it would take me about an hour to hitch back and it did indeed take just under that.  I walked to the outskirts of Thornham hitching on the way without success but soon got picked up by a potter in an old Fiesta!  He lived in Brancaster and had his outlet at Hunstanton.  My second lift was just to the next village again in an old fiesta from a young man, bit laddish.  Again I walked to the outskirts of the village and just as it started to rain I got a lift from a young couple in an old Golf who took me out of their way to Burnham Overy. They were on their way to Burnham Market to get a new tyre as they had had a puncture the previous day and were travelling on a temporary tyre.  I called into an antiques shop I had seen when hitching to look at a pot and basin and saw it marked at £290!  I didn't buy it.  

I arrived back in Coventry at 2.30pm and visited Toys-R-Us to pick up some Meccano and Z’nap lego for the boys and then a plate for Margaret in a pine furniture shop in Earlsdon.


I felt better than I could ever recall after a walking holiday – no blisters, nicely tired, well relaxed and no aches or pains.  I think it is because I had been walking in and out of work and also trying to watch what I eat over the winter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment