Friday 25 August 2017

Day: 235 25/10/00 Seal Sands to Hartlepool

Weather:  Windy but clear in the main.

Distance:  14 km (8.7 miles)    Total Distance:   3019 miles

We packed up at our friends and said goodbye to the girls and set off to Middlesborough, being careful to show Margaret the sprawling industrial parts I had walked passed the previous day.  I knew she'd be interested. We stopped off to see the Transporter bridge but it wasn’t operating because of the very windy conditions.

They dropped me off at the fire station at Seal Sands and then drove on to Hartlepool leaving me a three or so mile walk along the A178 with no footpath in the main. There was a strong wind which meant that I walked with my sweatshirt hood up for most of the time which must have been a pretty weird sight to all the passing motorists.

The area was not quite as densely packed with chemical industry as the previous day had been – though I did pass another Huntsman Tioxide plant.

Just past the nuclear power station I got off the main road and headed down towards the sea along a road leading to Oxford Chemicals (whom I had never heard of).  It was a pleasure to be off the main road at last.  Just before I got to the small chemical factory I took a path to the left, over a golf course and then after a mile turned right towards the sea.  I was unsure at this stage whether I could get down to the beach and what it would be like once I got there, particularly after passing a sign saying ‘Danger – Quicksand’.  Fortunately, it was fine and a path/track led through the dunes and down to the beach that was a relatively firm bit of sand

The walk along Seaton Sands was very windy.  I suppose I was fortunate that the wind was coming off the land and not off the sea.  The wind made sand from the dunes blow over the beach creating a shimmering effect, almost as if I was walking on liquid. I was also fortunate in that the blowing sand mainly stayed at leg height and was not blowing into my face.

At the far end of Seaton Crew I took to the promenade which was also a cycle track all the way to Hartlepool.  I got a little lost in the new dockside development area but after walking over a building site got to where I was to meet the family only some ten minutes late.

I met Margaret and the boys in the foyer to Hartlepool Quay, a sort of museum dedicated to the French / British wars at sea, with wax models, videos and games from the past.  I was a pretty good modern museum.  Margaret and the boys had been an hour or so already and had visited half the museum but the bits I saw I was impressed with, apart from the having to stand up for the first half hour on a walk through section!  We were surprised how few visitors there were considering it was half-term, may be because the weather was so chilly.

We drove down the A19 to friends in Brigg and had a very pleasant evening curry with them.  The next day I went to a meeting in Grimsby and Margaret and the boys took the car to Cleethorpes and spent the day there.



No comments:

Post a Comment