Thursday 24 August 2017

Day: 219 27/12/99 Cleethorpes to Grimsby

This was an unexpected walk!  I had battled my way up to the factory at Grimsby to meet  a colleague to discuss a piece of work I was doing only to find he was off with flu.  The weather had been bad and there was snow on the road for much of my journey – it took three and a half-hours instead of the usual two and a half.  

I was on my way back to Coventry when I suddenly remembered that I had my walking boots in the boot of the car so turned back and went through Grimsby to Cleethorpes and parked up in a side street near the leisure centre.   I walked up the promenade to where I had stopped walking last time and then about turned back to the leisure centre again.  There was still snow on the ground making it difficult to walk on at times.  Once I reached the leisure centre I took to the beach that was nice and firm, only going up onto the promenade again near the pier.  

Beyond the pier, Cleethorpes looked sorry for itself – lots of boarded up amusement arcades closed till the next season – only the odd one or two trying to eke out a living in the depths of winter.  When to road ran out a path at the top of the beach took over.  From here on I was unsure how far I would be able to walk because I was aware that I would likely get hemmed in first by the railway track and then by the docks.  After a while I asked a man out walking his dog what chances I had if I kept going of making it up into the docks and out again.  He appeared uncertain so I kept going anyway.

It was with much relief that once I got to the entrance of the fish docks, the lock was closed and I was able to walk over the lock gates onto the other side.  I realised that I was now unlikely to get sent back so I waved to the lock keeper and kept going even though there were a few private signs around.  I was soon out onto the public road and heading up towards the town.  The official walk stopped once I reached the main road, near the Grimsby Evening Telegraph offices.


I turned and headed back along the main road this time towards Cleethorpes keeping an eye over my shoulder for a bus but not too worried that one failed to appear as it was still light and I was still enjoying it.  I stopped in McDonalds about half way back for lunch and then returned to the car and drove back to Coventry.

No comments:

Post a Comment