Friday 4 January 2013

Day: 35 30/4/88 Freshwater West to Manorber

Stackpole Bay
Weather:  Over-clouded with some rain.
Distance:  29km (18 miles)    Total Distance:    miles

Not having done hardly any preparation this year and carrying some excess weight (Wilff!), I was not too confident of doing very well this week, but was still looking forward to it. I travelled down and camped in Narbeth – same place as last year for £1. I called in Pembroke for a paper but I was too early (~8.15am) for a café to be open. The surfing championship of Wales were being held in Freshwater and I met a friend fom Swansea from the days when I used to help out with a scout troop. 

I had to walk inland first of all, past the MOD fireing range and then down to Stack rocks. I called in at a church in the middle of the firing range but it was closed.  Stack Rocks were teeming with birdlife.  The rest of the day involved walking along some beautiful cliff-tops.  It was over-clouded all day with a couple of spots of rain – its an awful blowy wet night tonight! The café at Freshwater East was closed but I got some lunch.  I walked on to Monorber. That last bit was very tough and I was tired when I got to the main road.  The first two lifts I got were from the first cars to go past – the 2nd was from a hippylike characture who had caused his girlfriend to split her head open when teaching her to absail! The third lift took 4 cars – 4 out of 7 is not bad!  I camped near Tenby and had tea in Tenby and had an early night.

Freshwater East

West Moor Cliff towards Manorbier

No comments:

Post a Comment