Thursday 10 January 2013

Day: 88 12/9/92 Porthleven to Lizard

 Weather: Good, one heavy shower
Distance: 20 km ( 12.4 miles)    Total Distance:    1170.2 miles

Taking advantage of the early hour and the fact it was getting out of season, I parked the car in a side street just up the hill rather than the car park. The east side of Portleven harbour has small craft shops and a pub. Around the corner I was surprised to find the town stretched out for a fair while with small housed and B&Bs of all shapes and sizes.

I kept off Porthleven Sands but was forced to use sand by The Loe that is a bank that separates the beach from a large freshwater lake busy with bird life.  Up onto the cliffs again, the next interesting part was Church Cove that as its name suggests has a small isolated church that I popped into see.

At Poldu Point the cove is dominated by a large old hotel. This section was quite busy with walkers.  The next section included Mullion Cove, a picturesque small harbour which we had visited with friends some years previously.  The next section to Kynance Cove was relatively gentle without too many ups and downs though the ascent up out of Kynance Cove itself is steep and I was impressed with a man carrying a baby and doing the climb so well.




The Lizard was also fairly busy. Tourists were busy looking in the shop selling items made out of the local serpentine rock. As this was the end of the walk for the day I started to hitch. I had no luck until I got into Lizard itself where I bought a drink and got to a good hitching position on the other side. I got a lift in the end from two girls down on a sightseeing holiday. They were not originally intending to go to Portleven but I told them it was worth a look so they took me all the way there - I hope they enjoyed it. I went back to the tearooms I had found the previous day and caught them just before they closed.

I camped again in the campsite just outside Helots and walked into the town for another curry that evening but from a different place than I had one the evening before.

No comments:

Post a Comment