Monday 7 January 2013

Day: 50 3/3/90 Penarth Dock to Cardiff

Distance:  17km (10.6 miles)    Total Distance:   749 miles

I parked my new car, an Astra, at Penarth Docks which was full of newly built expensive looking apartments overlooking the marina.  I walked back along an industrial estate and then over the new road bridge without getting caught (this was a non-pedestrian bridge!) even though a police car passed me.  There was no sign of the foot-tunnel marked on the map of Cardiff I had seen. 

I walked back to the headland looking at the wildlife on the mud flats that may go if they build the threatened Cardiff Barrage.  Over into the back streets of Grangetown and through a park.  I then walked through the bottom of Butetown and ended up in Cardiff Docks by the Marine Museum.  Here I had lunch bought in an open-all-hours shop and ate it outside the new County Hall. 

I could not get into the docks proper so had to skirt inland.  I made a mistake once and cut down a road that led to the docks and had to cut back.  The road past the old East Moors steel works was noisy and the only unpleasant part of the day.  I was pleasantly pleased to see how close Rover Way was to the coast.  As I had made good time I walked over the River Rhymney and then on the outside of the rubbish tip and onto the sea defences – I did not want Margaret to start off with that tomorrow!

I then walked back to my parents in  and Dad kindly took me back to collect my car in Penarth. I was back in their house in time to watch the rugby international on TV.  A good day. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment