Monday 7 January 2013

Day: 53 17/4/90 Newport to Caldicot

Distance:  22km (13.7 miles)    Total Distance:    1253km  (778 miles)

Weather:  Overcast but dry


It's Easter Tuesday, a bank holiday depending on which part of the country you live in.  Where we are living presently, in Coventry, they tend to take the Monday and Tuesday as holiday rather than the Good Friday.  It must be some sort of throwback to the industrial past. 

We stayed the previous night with my parents in Cardiff which was most convenient.  My wife joined me for today's walk.  I don't know why but its becoming a bit of a pattern that she joins me for the less interesting bits.  It's just the way it works out.  Honest. 

We parked the car at Nash and walked down towards the coast.  I then had to walk back towards Newport to make sure I walked all the coastline that was possible to walk.  After a mile and a half my way got blocked and I turned round to head back the way I had just come. Meanwhile Margaret sat and took in the view, a much more sensible approach to life some may argue.

The weather stayed fine all day though it always appeared to be threatening to rain at any moment.  Pretty much the whole walk today was along the sea defenses.  Most of it was marked as being public footpaths but not all.  Still, we didn't have any trouble from GOMLs.(Get Off My Land). 




For lunch we took a brief detour inland up to Redwick It was pies all round.  I had the stout pie and Margaret had the fisherman's pie.  Hope they didn't miss it. 

In the afternoon the skies looked even grayer.  We past collections of rusting conical fisherman's traps.  That's not traps to catch fishermen but rather I'm guessing the fish as they are swept downstream by the outgoing tide on the Severn. 

The foreshore was littered with driftwood and other detritus from the winter storms.  There was enough here to heat your house for the year.  Now there's an idea.  We kept getting glimpses of the Severn Bridge in the distance.  It wouldn't be long till I'm walking over that hopefully but not today.

Near the buried trig point at Caldicot Moor, looking west along the sea defences.


We stopped walking in Caldicot, just past the firing range.   Luckily it seemed the marksmen were also taking Bank Holiday off.  After crossing some fields we were in the village and checked out the times of buses but in the end caught a train back to Newport.



Just as we got on the train we heard a voice call us.  It was a friend we worked with in Coventry and one of those unlikely coincidences you sometimes get of bumping into people in the most odd places.  No doubt a clever statistician could explain it to me one day.

Back in Newport we hopped on a bus.  We'd been assured it was going to Nash where we'd left the car but stopped a couple of miles short and evicted us, not for bad behavior I don't think, more because it was on a Bank Holiday timetable.  Having walked a fair bit already we hitched the last few miles to Nash and got a life no problem just as it started to pour with rain.  I hope the bus driver was feeling guilty by now.  Back in the car we drove back to Cardiff, had a snack, loaded up the car and drove back to Coventry.  A busy day indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment