Saturday 19 January 2013

Day: 93 1/6/93 Falmouth to Trelissick

Weather: Fine
Distance: 30 km (18.6 miles)    Total Distance:  1231 miles

This day can be described as nothing else but a miscalculation.  I was not using my distance wheel to calculate my walks.  The section appeared fairly reasonable on the map but was in practise a long day.

The first section was through Falmouth.  It as early and the town was just waking up.  I do like towns at this time of day, the odd delivery van arriving at shops, the street cleaners busy and the only shops open are newsagents.

By the time I reached Penryn it was a lot busier with cars making their way to work.  Penryn was also a ship building and maintenance town and none too attractive.

Once past Penryn it was a day of walking the creeks, along paths and village lanes.  The villages I passed mostly had small harbours and packed with yachts.  The path down to Flushing was somewhat tricky in parts as it made its way through fields.  The headland around Flushing was dominated by the sight of a drilling rig parked in the water just off the headland.  In fact it was dominant from Falmouth and much of the rest of the estuary slightly spoiling the overall atmosphere of the place.

I stopped for a drink in Restronguet Passageone and sat outside in the sun.  These villages along side the estuaries make a real contrast to the harbour towns on the coast and this should not be missed by any coastal path walker.

Perranarworth on the main road was where the fun stopped.  This was a busy road and a miserable section.  By the time I cut off the main road again I realised a I was way behind time and had to step on the gas.  The remainder of the walk was thus a rush more than an enjoyable amble through the villages.

I got to the finish of the days walk and then turned off to go down to the National Trust gardens at Trellisk.  I rested on the ground for a while once I got there waiting for Margaret and Sean to find me.  I was even too whacked to enjoy the gardens much but the tea room was well worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment