Tuesday 8 January 2013

Day: 80 31/7/91 Newquay to Perenporth

Date: 31/7/91    Weather: Fine
Distance:  16km (9.9 miles)    Total Distance:   1082 miles

We did not feel like parking the car in Newquay so went to Crantock which was much quieter and parked for free using our National Trust membership for the first time and saved £1.  The tide was going out so I walked over the footbridge at the Gunnel just as it opened up and walked up into Newquay – this took about 45 minutes!. Then about turn and through the now very busy streets (yuck) along Fistal beach where the UK surfing championships were being held, and down to the Gunnel again. Meg had walked up to the village of Crantock which was very nice.  She then joined me on the next bit, along the Crantock beach and Porth Jack and over the heath-land to Holywell.  Meg stopped here feeling a little tired and I carried on.

The next bit was full of military establishments and old tin mines – a strange mixture and not very picturesque. Someone overtook me just as I got to Porren beach and headed straight down the cliff on a narrow path to the beach – so I followed him – more slowly! Some military runners passed me running in the opposite direction up the path. 

There were not many people on the vast Perran Beach until the town of Perrenporth. Which was very crowded.  Very fortunately I found a bus that went to Crantock which saved me having to walk from New Quay again. I walked down to get the car and then drove back up to pick up Meg in Hollywell – we met in the Treguth pub. We had tea there and then went in search of a B&B. We found a good one in Portraeth down by the harbour. – a quiet but not very attractive fishing village. Had a night in front of the telly!

No comments:

Post a Comment