Thursday 10 January 2013

Day: 84 19/5/92 Pendeen to Porthcurno

Distance:  21.5 km ( 13.4 miles)    Total Distance:  1134.8 miles

Margaret and Sean drove me up to the north coast and dropped me off.  It was good weather on the south coast but just a few miles away on the north coast it was dense fog.  Margaret thus decided to go straight back to the south coast. 

I passed a travellers camp near to Cape Cornwall which looked untidy – although they were trying to get close to nature they seemed not to be taking too much care of it at the same time.  I climbed the hill at Cape Cornwall thinking that I ought. Pass Cape Cornwall the path was a little hard to follow as it went through a patch of lush vegetation and streams flowed down to the beaches. 

Whitesand Bay wasn;t quite my cup of tea.  I got to the village of Sennen Cove and walked up the road out of the village and back onto the cliff tops again.

Land’s End has been bought up by a commercial organisation and was crowded with tourists paying a lot of money to say they had been there.  Fortunately there was free public access for those on the footpath.  I took a photo of the signpost saying miles to anywhere and made a fast get away. 

The next section was full of wide paths, cliffs with rock climbers and good views – this is a section I would like to visit again some time.

Near the end of the walk I passed the Minack Theatre where we had visited with friends some years previously I recall seeing ap lay there and feeling frozen cold, not because it was necessarily that cold but because I has got sunburnt in the day.

At Porthcurno it was time to call it a day.  I was not yet in the habit of looking up bus timetables so still relied on thumbing a lift.  This was a pretty remote spot and I did not fancy walking too much further.  Fortunately the Cable and Wireless Training College was in the village and I ended up getting a lift from someone who worked there all the way to Penzance.  I would not have been able to do this a few years later because the college packed up and moved to Coventry

No comments:

Post a Comment