Monday 14 January 2013

Day: 89 13/9/92 Lizard to Coverack

Date: 13/9/92    Weather: Fine
Distance: 15 km ( 9.3 miles)    Total Distance:    1179.6 miles

A lovely autumnal day. I parked the car in the lower car park at Lizard and started my walk along the cliff path soon leaving the hustle and bustle of the sightseers behind.  Part of this section had some narrow parts to it and the path clung to the cliff face. Today wasn't the time to contemplate landslides and alike 

The path went behind the lifeboat station at Church Grove where some men were busy working on the boat. The church bells were being rung announcing it was harvest festival Sunday.  In Cadgwith, a lovely Cornish village, I stopped for a cream tea even though it was only morning. I was all set to savour it when the peace was disturbed by a very noisy, local posh family, seemingly from a local manor, who all talked at the top of their voices.

The next section was easier walking. Past Kennack Sands, I came to a deep valley of Downas Cove, quiet and at first sight unspoilt. On crossing the stream however I noticed it was a deep brown colour - too deep to explain by peat - not that there was any around these parts anyway. I did not have a suitable container to take a sample and anyway I did not feel like carrying a dirty sample of water around with me!  The next day I passed a post office at the end of the walk and saw a number for the National Rivers Authority help-line.  My conscious got the better of me so I gave them a call to inform them what I'd seen the previous day. I got a letter a couple of weeks later to say that they had been out to investigate but not found anything.

The weather started to look threatening so I finished my walk in Coverack. This village was quite busy with visitors walking along the front.  I had to walk quite a way before I got a lift back up onto the common and then another lift back to my car in the Lizard. The second lift was from a middle-aged couple down on holiday - it is more unusual to get a lift from holidaymakers.

I stopped the night in a good B&B overlooking the harbour in Portleven. I was a nice place but the smallest single room I had ever seen built into the apex of a roof.  I ate in a fish and chip shop in Helston that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment