Wednesday 9 January 2013

Day: 81 1/8/91 Perrenporth to Portreath

Date: 1/8/91    Weather:  Sunny
Distance:  18km (11.1 miles)    Total Distance:   1093 miles

Margaret stayed for a while in Perenporth while I started walking.  The bottom car park was already full so we parked on the cliff top and I walked down and back up.  The weather was excellent – sunny with a breeze. The views too were excellent – the sea was a deep turquoise.

This was real tin mining area – lots of disused shafts dating from medieval times to relatively modern. I found a National Trail Guide book so picked it up thinking it had only recently been dropped. It had. It belonged to the two jolly walkers I had met a couple of days previously on the Padstow section. They were very thankful that their book had been found and were still in good spirits – still laughing.  I walked with them a while.  One was a golfer and one was a sailor so they had compromised and come on a walking holiday near the sea!

I left them when they went off to explore a tin mine at Cross Coombe. I stopped in Trevcunance Bay for a drink. It was packed with people and the RNLI were putting on a display.  Margaret was there too but I didn't see her. I must have just missed her!

The afternoon was less interesting – two bays full of sun-seekers. Chapelporth which was OK and Chapel Porth which was grotty. The walk past the airfield was boring.

Margaret was at the B&B shortly after I arrived.  We went over the road for a toasted sandwich and then I had a snooze and shower and then went in search of tea in the Basset Arms, but the restaurant was full so we had a bar meal instead and proceeded to spill the garlic sauce from the chicken all over my trousers.

No comments:

Post a Comment