Wednesday 9 January 2013

Day: 83 17/5/92 Hayle to Pendeen

Distance:  30.0 km ( 18.6 miles)    Total Distance:  1121.5 miles

This was our first holiday with a child – Sean!  We stayed in an old cottage/house in Penzance that was OK but we were the first people in for the season and it was damp in the downstairs room.  My plan was to walk hard on alternative days, which proved to be an error. 

Margaret dropped me off at Hayle.  The first part of the walk was easy – up and down the River Hayle and on the sand dunes at Porth Kidney Sands.   St Ives was relatively quiet because the wind was keeping many off the beaches.  My abiding memory of the walk between St Ives and Zennor was that it was difficult and rocky in places. 

At Zennor onwards a dog started to follow me.  Try as I might I could not shake him/her off and it followed me all the way to the end of the walk at Pendeen.  Margaret and Sean picked me up and we had little choice but to put the dog in the car and take it back to Zennor.  We asked at a house in Zennor who it belonged to and they said it was a local dog and to leave it at a nearby house and it would be OK!

Today’s walk was long and difficult and actually in hindsight an error.  I got too hot and did not drink enough and would pay for it by not being able to walk far for the rest of the week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment