Thursday 10 January 2013

Day: 87 11/9/92 Penzance to Porthleven

Weather:  Sunny and breezy
Distance: 20.5 km ( 12.7 miles)    Total Distance:  1157.8 miles

I travelled down to Penzance on the previous afternoon / evening and risked not having booked a B&B. I soon found a road with lots of B&Bs seemingly having a price war and chose one at random. It was OK but not great - I had a large attic room. The proprietors sat smoking and drinking with friends in the dining room late into the evening. I went off to the town to eat and to walk the first part of the next days walk which was from where we stayed on the previous holiday, up to and around the harbour and past the railway station to the new supermarket which looked a good place to stop.

After settling up at the B&B I drove to the car park and started the walking holiday proper. I passed onto the shoreline and past a series of derelict railway carriages. I could see St Michael’s Mount in the distance. This was not part of my route according to my rules since it was an island only connected to the mainland at low tide. I kept to the beach, though this was tricky once past the causeway when the sand disappeared.

At Portleven, I called into a small teashop before making my way back. I had no luck in hitching up to the main road. On the way up I called in a farmhouse advertising B&B but failed to get an answer - it looked expensive so I did not call back. I eventually got a lift once on the main road.

That evening I camped in Helston. I went into Helston in the evening and was disappointed with it. The pubs had been open all day and it had a raucous atmosphere to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment