Monday 14 January 2013

Day: 90 14/9/92 Coverack to Mawgan

Weather: Overcast - occasional light showers

Distance: 25 km ( 15.5 miles)    Total Distance:    1195.1 miles


This was a long days walk!  From Coverack I walked up a lane and then got lost getting over some fields. It was a gentle walk up until I reached a quarry. The path through was well marked though I had to rush through it because it was close to blasting time. A second quarry was not so accessible and I was forced cut inland.  This actually made a pleasant change to coastal path walking.

Porthoustock was a strange village - almost deserted. After this I fought my way though another disused overgrown quarry and past a strange MOD radar establishment. I met a couple who were also finding it difficult to find the path into Porthallow. They stopped there, I felt fine at this stage.

Past Nare Point the path changed character becoming much more sheltered. There were some lovely parts of the path through Gillian - lots of hidden away cottages. It was low tide so I was able to cross the river on stepping stones. I had a rest at St Anthony-in-Meneage looking at a boat repair/surf shop etc.

It was difficult to find the path through the Bosahan Estate at first, but then on the Northern side a sheltered woodland path led most of the way to Helford, a picturesque village.  Through the back-roads of Helford led to a path over and into Frenchmans Creek. I had trouble crossing and finding a path on the other side of the creek but eventually did.

After this I kept to the minor roads and was feeling pretty tired by this stage and did not appreciate some steep climbs. Eventually I got to Mawgan which was not far at all from the airfield at Culrose where the camping site I had stayed at was.

I found it hard to get a lift back to Coverack - I only got one short one and ended up walking most of it. I rested near the car for a long time when I eventually got back.

I stayed in the B&B again that I had stayed in the previous night, overlooking the harbour at Porthleven. I had the very small room but I did not mind much. The next day I started to walk at Mawgan but it was wet and miserable worth heavy drizzle. Instead I went to Falmouth library to find out information about Cornish societies for my clock-making hobby.

I headed back home to Coventry after lunch.Along the way I picked up three hitchhikers. Two I dropped off at Strencham services on the M5 and the third, a roofer, I dropped at Birmingham International train station. It all made for an entertaining drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment