Friday 4 January 2013

Day: 37 2/5/88 Pendine to St Clears

Distance:  21km (13 miles)    Total Distance:    miles

Last night turned out to be the last night I would camp on my coastal walk for the next two years. In the next stage I would stay with a friend in Mumbles, my parents in Cardiff and then a friend at Burnham-on-Sea. 

Today was a walk of two distinct halves, the first along the sands of Pendine, long and flat, the second half mainly along paths and roads as the coast becomes increasingly difficult to access. If anything I overstretched myself along Pendine Sands and I believe this is what caused the injury to my splint muscle which would put an end to my weeks walking eventually.  What’s more I do not recall stopping until the headland just south of Laugharne.



Walking around the headland was quite a contrast compared with the sands of Pendine. The mud had started!  I had lunch in a café in Laugharne or at least a good pot of tea – it was in the more downmarket café as the other one was full of tourists.  It was then around the village and past Dylan Thomas’s Boathouse and a nice stroll through the woods.  Here the path ran out.  There was no chance of keeping on going as there were people in the fields, so it was back up onto the road all the way to St Clares. 

Hitching back was again via Laugharne.  I can not recall the first lift out of Laugharne but do remember getting a lift out of Laugharne and having to walk quite a way before getting a lift from someone going fishing.  Once back at the car I tried a campsite in Laugharne but they said over £6, so I laughed and went to stay in with my friend in Mumbles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment